11.28.2011

Roasted Beets and Carrots

So, my first Thanksgiving dinner was a success! Except for the biscuits... they tasted ok, but looked awful so I hid them in the back of the fridge and pretended like I never made them : )  The stuffing was my favorite, but if I made that on a regular basis I'd end up eating about a loaf of brown rice bread a day. That recipe will have to be filed for special occasions. 

My second favorite was Roasted Beets and Carrots....  Don't stop reading yet beet-haters!  Josh (a former beet-hater) actually said, "I can't even taste the beets, they taste just like the carrots!" Beets are so healthy and a great winter-time veggie.  So give this recipe a try!

Roasted Beets and Carrots

  1 1/2 lb carrots sliced
  1 1/2 lb beets diced
  1/2 bulb garlic crushed
  1/4 cup grapeseed oil (or any other oil rated for high heat)
  5 tbs balsamic vinegar 
  fresh thyme and rosemary ( dried will do in a pinch)
  salt and pepper to taste

Steam beets and carrots separately until tender (you can do them all together if you don't mind your carrots turning purple).  Mix all ingredients together and roast @ 425 F for 30 min or until starting to brown. Stir once or twice while roasting.  I used a big cast iron pan, but a pyrex or cookie sheet should work, just make sure the beets and carrots are spread fairly thin. 

Simple, healthy, and delicious!

My workout today:

A. Deadlift 6 reps/4 reps/2 reps with 2 min break between.
      I lifted 125/140/150 lbs!! 150 x 2 is by far a record for me!

B. Pushup 4-8 x 3, 2 min rest b/w sets.
      This sounds pathetic, but it really is an accomplishment for me. For the life of me, I have not been able to do a pushup! I have been practicing incline pushups for a long time, and recently gave the real thing a try and got 4. So now, Josh is able to program pushups in small doses in my workouts. I was able to do 6 reps, then 4 and 4 today.

C. Power clean touch and go 6 reps 65lbs
    Airdyne 10 sec fast
     repeat x 4 with 3 min breaks
 

No comments:

Post a Comment